Pet Insurance Sales:

0345 603 1294

8am-6pm Mon-Fri

Claims and Customers Service:

0345 602 4797

8am-6pm Mon-Fri

Pet Protect Header Image

Foods toxic to your Dog

Share on Facebook    Share on Twitter

Top 9 Foods that are toxic to your dog

When given the chance, our four legged friends will try and get their paws on some tasty treats. But not all everyday food and drink are safe for your dog to consume. Some foods can have severe side effects for your pooch. See below the 9 foods that are toxic to your dog:

Onions, garlic and chives

Avoid the onion family; either dry, raw or cooked, all can particularly toxic to dogs. These foods can cause gastrointestinal irritation and red blood cell damage. Signs of illness cannot always be immediate and it can sometimes take a few days to notice that your dog has had a reaction to this food.

Chocolate

Chocolate is toxic and poisonous to dogs and can cause kidney failure. Especially avoid dark chocolate that has the highest content on stimulant called theobromine, which is an ingredient found in chocolate.

Macadamia Nuts

Common side effects of eating these nuts include swollen limbs and panting due to the toxins affecting the dog’s muscles and nervous system.

Corn on the Cob

Although corn can be easily digested by dogs, the cob can cause a blockage in your dog’s intestine, so can be potentially fatal if eaten.

Avocado

Avocado plants contain a substance called Persin which is in its leaves, fruit and seed and can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs.

Artificial Sweetener (Xylitol)

Our desire for sweet treats, chewing gum and drinks together with low-fat, diet and sugar-free products are full of artificial sweetener called Xylitol, which causes insulin release in our bodies. However, if your dog digests one of these sweetened foods, they can do into hypoglycaemia which can cause liver failure and blood clotting disorders. Some peanut butters contain sweeter, so always check the label before giving this as a treat!

Alcohol

Alcohol has a huge impact on dogs, even in small doses. The drink not only causes intoxication as it does in humans, but it was lead to sickness, diarrhoea and even central nervous system damage.

Cooked Bones

Giving your dog a raw uncooked bone to chew on is great, but avoid cooked bones at all cost. These can easily splinter and in large quantities cause constipation or at worst, a perforation of the guy which can be fatal.

Grapes & raisins

Raisins are in many of the foods we love to eat such as cakes, biscuits and cereals so its not just the fruit form we should be careful with. The active ingredient which causes the toxin is unknown however both grapes and raisins may cause severe liver damage and kidney failure.

What should I do if my dog has eaten any of the above food? If consumed, even in small amounts, always act immediately and take your dog to your local veterinary practice.

 

By Jennifer Nash

Recent Articles

We use cookies to help us improve website use experience. By continuing to use this site or closing this panel you agree to our use of cookies.

See our Cookie Policy   Close