Pet Protect Header Image

Easter tips for your cats and dogs

Share on Facebook    Share on Twitter

With Easter just around the corner we start to forget about the dark and cold nights and look forward to lighter evenings, warmer weather and most of all the chocolate eggs. As we are all at home this Easter we wanted to give you some handy tips to help you look after your furry friends and to avoid any unnecessary trips or calls to the emergency vet.

When it comes to Easter there are a few things to consider that may not always be such a treat when it comes to your pets. Make sure you keep all of the below out of reach of your cats and dogs.

  • Chocolate Easter eggs and any other chocolate contains theobromine, which is poisonous to cats and dogs. It can make your pet extremely ill and in some cases can even be fatal.
  • Raisins, currants, sultanas and grapes which may be found in hot cross buns are also toxic for cats and dogs. They can cause a range of conditions such as kidney failure, vomiting, diarrhoea, weakness, loss of appetite and even abdominal pain
  • Bones from chicken, lamb or any meat on the bone can fragment inside a cat or dog once eaten. If someone is cooking the roast dinner this weekend, make sure to keep an eye on pets who are cheeky and try to steal food from the table.

Why not purchase Easter eggs for your pets from VioVet. This allows you to share the fun with your pets so they can eat theirs as much as you can enjoy yours.

It’s not just the yummy treats that can be harmful to our cats and dogs, certain flowers can be poisonous and should be kept out of reach.

  • Bulbs, including daffodils, are poisonous and can cause vomiting, diarrhoea and even heart problems as the bulbs are the most dangerous part
  • Flowers such as lilies contain toxins and can result in kidney failure when eaten by cats

What to do if you think your cat or dog has eaten or ingested something they shouldn’t have:

  • Prevent them from eating any more
  • Phone your local emergency vet immediately for advice.
  • If possible, try to find out what they may have eaten, how much of it and note any symptoms, as this will help your vet to treat your pet

By Melissa Pickburn

We use cookies to help us improve website use experience. By continuing to use this site or closing this panel you agree to our use of cookies.

See our Cookie Policy   Close