Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Pet Insurance Sales:

0345 603 1294

9am - 5.30pm Monday - Friday

Claims and Customers Service:

0345 602 4797

9am - 5.30pm Monday - Friday

Pet Protect Header Image

Easter dangers to your pet

Share on Facebook    Share on Twitter

Easter is a time of indulgence with many delicious foods available, yet these seasonal treats can be dangerous for your pets. So you can have a fun time this Easter, we have highlighted the main things to be aware of.

Easter eggs

This seasonal treat are always a delight to have, yet did you know that chocolate is poisonous to dogs. Chocolate contains an ingredients called ‘Theobromine’ which is toxic. Even a small amount of chocolate can cause convulsions, heart problems and fitting.

Dark chocolate, with more cocoa solids means the more Theobromine it will contain. It is advised not to give any chocolate to your pet. If you think they will feel left out, give them their favourite treat.

Hot Cross Buns

Hot cross buns have dried fruit in them such as currents, raisins and sultanas. All of these are toxic to dogs. If ingested, dogs can suffer from severe kidney failure as a result. Try and keep any food containing dried fruit away from your dog.


A great way to get into Easter would be to decorate your home – especially if you are holding a party! Hang and place your decorations out of the reach of your pet – they may see it as a new toy and want to investigate.


Spring time means the bloom of seasonal flowers and plants. Daffodils are lovely to see in Spring, yet pretty flowers are poisonous to dogs. If ingested, they can give your dog an upset stomach, cause vomiting and make them lethargic.

Tulips are also a flower to be aware of due them irritating your dogs mouth and intestinal tract. If ingested, your dog will experience drooling, vomiting and diarrhea. Heart problems can also arise and problems breathing and showing signs of tulip poisoning.

What should you do if my dog has ingested any of the above?

If you think your dog has eaten something they shouldn’t have, contact your vet immediately for advice. If possible, try and see what they have eaten and how much of it, along with any symptoms.

By Jennifer Nash

We use cookies to help us improve website use experience. By continuing to use this site or closing this panel you agree to our use of cookies.

See our Cookie Policy   Close