Pet Patter - Catrina Skepper's Blog
Feline Behaviours. Things to look out for when your cat ..
Unlike the exuberant dog who expresses his emotions openly and often in an intrusive way, communication between cats and is more discreet and sometimes difficult to read for an untrained eye.
So these are a few things to look out for when ...
1. ... my ears are flattened: I am either annoyed or frightened. Twitching them backward and forward usually means that I am either anxious or worried about whatever I hear or am looking at. Another way you can tell something worries me, is if I flick out my tongue once or twice around my lips.
2. ... I am lying down with my eyes closed but with my tail flicking slightly at the tip: I am really awake and spying on you. I can keep it up all day. Eyes wide shut !
3. ... my back is arched high, and my ears flattened: I will scratch whatever I can reach, if you doubt that, look into my hugely dilated eyes, all the better to see you with. My slightly open mouthed snarl, all the better to bite you with, so get out of my way !!
4. ... I'm slinking low to the ground: means I am frightened, or I'm stalking something. I may even press right down to the ground, my fur will stand up, and my ears may be pinned back. Don't forget to watch where you walk when I'm darting past you ...
5. ... I'm making the basic cat sounds of purring, meows and hisses: cats can readily vary these sounds, thus seeming to talk. A cat meeting with another cat can emit more than fifty different sounds for communication which vary in tone from harsh to acute. A cat forms words that assume a precise meaning for other cats. Cats have a sweet sound, the Purr, which it uses to express joy, momentary well being and affection for its owner. It is a musical sound repeated at length when the cat is happy. Purring also occurs in cats that are injured and in pain.
6. ... a male cat holds his tail bent forward towards his head: he is proclaiming to all the world that he is King of the Street ! He stands there lashing his tail back and forth showing how angry and tough his is standing in the driveway.